January 23, 2012

Rave Spirituality

So I’ve been thinking a lot about dj shamanism and rave spirituality lately. One of the main questions that come to mind whenever I begin to ponder those two ideas is…What occurrences need to happen for an existential experience on the dance floor? I’ve only had a few of those elusive moments. The feeling of connectedness and unity with those around me and the world. The complete loss of ego. Letting the music carry me away into a trance state. Dancing to a beat that feels like that of my own heart. That experience is what keeps me searching for new electronic music, connecting with others who have had similar experiences, going to shows, even driving hundreds of miles to find a rave or see a dj. That is why I started Wait for the Drop.
            To create such an experience, there is definitely a formula to nurture that experience. Sure, not everyone at a rave has the same night. There are many factors that go into every individual’s experience, many of which are within the person themselves. One must me open to being taken away by the music for it to occur. However, measures can me taken to foster that experience in people who are open to it.
            A few weeks ago I was thinking about this, and I came to the conclusion that one of the main elements of fostering shamanistic, tribal experiences through electronic music is the non-stop playing of the music. If the songs were broken up, there would be a clear beginning and end to each song. That goes against one of the main elements of the rave culture, the idea of unity, being all one. Spiritually speaking, there is no beginning or end to life. Life is a cycle, and by playing music that meshes together seamlessly with ebbs and flows, the sound closely mimics what people feel in life. The music is like a mirror for the emotions and feelings of the life cycle.
            I had a conversation with a close friend a few months ago about how we feel a lot of living happens in a shortened time span at raves. Reflecting during the morning drive back from a rave, I sometimes feel like I’ve gone through emotions, experiences and realizations that usually take months to occur in other circumstances. Now, I realize that the music played a cataclysmic part in that growth to happen. The fluid, non stop music is what helps create that trance state, the loss of ego and the life mirror.
            Raves have the ability to be very spiritual experiences. I truly believe that raves are the tribal rituals of my generation.

-Mama Bass

No comments:

Post a Comment